Humans are social animals. Human beings are social creatures and they play different roles in social activities. Social connection provides you joy, comfort, etc. It reduces your depression, anxiety, fear, stress, and you don’t feel alone. But along with these factors it also affects your mental health in different ways. In this modern era, many people or we can say that 98 percent people use Social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube, etc and through these social media platforms they stay connected to each other.
According to mental health psychiatrist & doctor near me, As social media has many benefits, the same as this social media also has negative impacts on mental health. So that’s why when you are socially connected you should do extra care of yourself so that you can stay safe from its negative impacts on mental health. So in this article we will read about the negative impacts of social media and how to keep yourself safe from it.
Positive impacts of social media
Virtually interaction On social media is not as physical interaction. It means that Virtually connection on social media is not as good as physical interaction. But social media also has benefits.
- You stay connected with your friends and family and stay updated to every news. It also gives a chance of sharing your feelings with friends and family and through social media you show your interest in them.
- When you have to raise any awareness or important issue, then you also use different social media platforms.
- If your any friend or family member is going through tough time and he needs you and you can’t go to him physically due to different problems then you stay connected with him online. And then you can support him financially, emotionally, etc.
- You get an opportunity to create and share your expressions through social media.
- You get a chance to learn different things, you learn more information through social media because there is much information on different social media platforms and moreover, social media provides you with different learning sources.
Negative impacts of social media
According to many anxiety therapist near me in cleveland researches, it has proven that many anxiety, depression, loneliness, suicidal thoughts are caused due to social media. There are many negative impacts of social media. Some of them are mentioned below. So keep reading this article to know about the negative impacts of social media.
It is especially a big problem for women. If their picture or video is circulating on social media and this is leaked by someone or mistakenly by them then this creates so many difficulties and troubles for them. Anyone can use that picture or video in the wrong way. So that’s why many people feel insecure on social media. Because on social media there are millions and billions of people and they are unknown so because they are unknown then you don’t have any idea about them they are which type of people. So this is also a reason for feeling insecure on social media.
Focusing on interactions
When someone shares his picture or video on social media or they put a story or status on WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc then he wishes that more and more people see him and his focus is on interaction totally. He sees comments and likes on his story again and again and compares that with the reach of other people. If he doesn’t gain likes or comments as much as other people then he becomes sad and depressed. This is also a negative impact of social media on mental health.
Depression and anxiety
For good mental health, humans also need face to face contact with other persons and this is necessary for every person. Nothing can reduce stress except eye to eye contact and same as this nothing can boost your mood except eye to eye contact. When you use social media so much then the risk of anxiety and depression increases. And moreover, you feel a mood disorder too.
Feeling missing out
When you are using social media, you also have a fear of missing something on social media such as any latest news, joke, memes, etc. And same as this when your friends are messaging in a group or anywhere else, you have a fear that you have read all the messages or not, whether you replied to every text or not, etc.