Garage door repair is a crucial task that every homeowner should be familiar with. A malfunctioning garage door can not only be a nuisance but also a security risk. In this article, we will discuss the different types of garage door repairs, their causes, and how to prevent them.
Types of Garage Door Repairs
- Spring Repair: The most common type of garage door repair is spring repair. Garage door springs are responsible for lifting heavy doors, and they tend to wear out over time. If the door is not opening or closing properly, it could be a sign that the springs need to be replaced.
- Cable repair: The cables that run along the sides of the garage door also play a crucial role in its operation. If the cables are frayed or broken, the door will not open or close properly.
- Track repair: The tracks that the door runs on can also become bent or damaged, causing the door to become misaligned. This can prevent the door from opening or closing properly.
- Opener repair: The garage door opener is responsible for opening and closing the door. If it is not working properly, it could be due to a faulty circuit board or worn-out gears.
Causes of Garage Door Repairs
- Wear and tear: The most common cause of garage door repairs is simply wear and tear. Over time, the various components of the door will begin to wear out, and they will need to be replaced.
- Improper maintenance: Lack of proper maintenance can also lead to garage door repairs. It is essential to keep the door and its components clean and lubricated to ensure smooth operation.
- Accidents: Accidents such as a car backing into the door can also cause damage that will need to be repaired.
- Extreme weather: Extreme temperatures and weather conditions can also take a toll on the garage door, leading to repairs.
How to Prevent Garage Door Repairs
- Regular maintenance: The best way to prevent garage door repairs is to perform regular maintenance. This includes cleaning and lubricating the various components, as well as inspecting the door for any signs of wear or damage.
- Keep opener in good condition: Keep the opener in good condition by testing it regularly and ensure it’s running smoothly, check the sensor, and make sure all the parts are in good condition.
- Weather stripping: Install weather stripping around the garage door to prevent drafts and extreme temperatures from damaging the door.
- Avoid accidents: Be careful when driving in and out of the garage to avoid accidental damage to the door.
When to Call a Professional
- Safety: If you are unsure of how to repair the garage door, or if the door is not operating properly, it is best to call a professional. Attempting to repair the door yourself can be dangerous, and it can lead to further damage.
- Complex repairs: Some repairs are more complex than others and require specialized tools and expertise. In these cases, it is best to call a professional for help.
- Time-saving: Calling a professional can save you time and effort, which is more valuable for the homeowner.
- Warranty: Many garage door repairs are covered under warranty, and a professional will be able to determine if this is the case and perform the repairs accordingly.
In conclusion, garage door repair is a task that should be handled by a professional, as it involves working with heavy machinery and electrical components. Attempting to repair a garage door on your own can be dangerous and may lead to further damage or injury. It is important to regularly maintain and inspect your garage door to prevent any issues from arising, and to address any issues as soon as they are noticed. If you are in need of a garage door repair, it is recommended that you contact a professional to diagnose and fix the problem.