What is Crochet Braiding All About?
“Crochet Braiding,” also often regarded as latch hook braiding, is one of the most unique methods of traditional hairstyling. Women generally utilize all around the world to protect one’s natural hairs and increase their length naturally over time. The typical style of this hair fashion is primarily held together with a specialized base of the crown head, to which later several hair extensions are attached for more hair volume and a thick hair look.
What are Crochet Braids? How Do They Look Like?
While some ladies generally use the popular name “Crochet Braids,” referring to some particular sort of hairstyle, such braids are, in fact, a distinctive method of attaching numerous synthetic hairs to your own head. Thus, this hair trend gets its unique name from the traditional crochet needle utilized in old times to add more hair extensions.
That typically indicates that crochet braids styles are generally loose, unlike a weave hairstyle, meaning the attached hair extensions are not sewn in. Instead, they are simply looped underneath the women’s cornrows with the help of the afore-mentioned crochet needle or latch hook. Those hair extensions are then tied to the natural hairs of women with a firm knot.
Styling options for Crochet Braids
So, now you may wonder what type of crochet hair braids are there for women. Well, the styling options are vast and extensive. You can have a full head of Senegalese twists, or you can even loop crochet braids twist on your cornrow base in a fraction of time at home instead of spending your time at a salon curling your natural hair for a braid. No matter whichever crochet hairstyle you choose, the starting installation point of hair extensions is nevertheless the same for all.
Popular Types of Crochet Braids Styles
One of the prime reasons for the immense popularity of crochet braids is the relative ease of hair extensions installations. In addition to that, crochet braiding also appears to be an inexpensive hairstyling option for all because it requires a few packs of hair extensions than numerous high-priced crochet box braids. Still, one has to be prepared beforehand to spend a lot of time creating unique crochet hair braids looks. Now, let’s see a few popular and trending types of such braids one by one:
Crochet braids twist out This incredible hairstyle gives women the look of a natural hair twist out.
- Faux Locs
Faux locs are amazingly popular among women who don’t want to commit their natural hairs for a more extended period.
- Crochet box braids
Women who don’t usually have enough time to sit for several hours getting crochet braided commonly tend to buy pre-braided hairs and install them independently.
- Crochet water waves
The water waves of crochet hairstyles typically give a great natural hair look, but many curls look precisely like water waves.
- Crochet Senegalese twists
Senegalese twists primarily utilize Kanekalon hairs that give women a smooth and well-defined hair look.
- Havana crochet twists
Ladies who want bigger crochet braids twists usually go for Havana twists. Typically, these twists are about double the width of the Senegalese hairstyle.
Top 10 Crochet Braids Hairstyles Trending in 2022
Crochet braids styles have always taken the women’s fashion world by storm. Greatly thanks to this incredible scalp helping technique, crochet braiding, by which endless and relentless hours at a hair salon are currently a thing of the past. In fact, nowadays, crochet hair braids come in an extensive range of colors and varieties, suiting almost all women regardless of their age and color complexion. Additionally, the most remarkable thing about rocking numerous crochet hairstyles is that they are protective in nature and significantly help in the growth of one’s natural hairs present beneath the crochet hair extensions.
Given below are some of the trending crochet braids hairstyles that you can wear at home, anytime you want, to rock your overall look and grow your natural hairs safely.
- Ponytail crochet
Who said that crochet hair braids always have to be boring? Instead, for this particular crochet hairstyle, all your braider requires is to make braids of big and small cornrow lines precisely in an alternating manner and then whip them in the form of a stylish ponytail. Afterward, your braider must attach those pieces of crochet hairs to your natural hairs present below. Additionally, to spruce your overall look, you can also add a few bits of gold hair charms.
- Short curly crochet hairstyle
Curly short crochet braids are super pretty for girls of all ages. With the most appropriate cut, such braids generously outline and enhance the beauty of all your facial features. In addition to that, to rock this style further, you will have to attach a few crochet extensions. You can also apply a gentle curl redefining cream or moisturizer on your hair ringlets to give them a glamorous and shiny look.
- Twist out curls
Crochet braids twist outs never go out of fashion and style. Depending on the texture and hairstyle you want, you can choose short or long synthetic hair extensions to twist out. You will need to have good hair extensions, a few bobby pins, and a crochet needle for that installation process.
- Crochet hairs with bangs
Do you want to make your curly bob hairstyle appear unique? Try this 1980s inspired bob length crochet hairstyle with attractive bangs. Those bangs are generously spread all around the head of women, especially in the front of their forehead. However, no one can achieve this exclusive hairstyle with their natural hairs, but you can easily achieve this look with synthetic crochet knotless braids.
- Crocheted burgundy waves
Do you want to feel like your head possesses flaunting long hair even if you don’t have it in real life? Try out some length crochet extensions. They are gorgeous, simple, and utterly natural-looking on the head of females. With them, you can easily experiment with different styles and colors simultaneously and enjoy having the length of your hair according to your dreams and wishes.
- Blonde and brown rope twists
Why simply go for a single hair color when one can have a rich hair color blend on their heads? This unique rope-twisted hairstyle appears to look great on its own. However, its colorful blend takes your head’s look to the next level. The different tremendous shades of blonde and brown-black indeed give your crochet box braids an incredibly mesmerizing look.
- Jumbo twists
Sometimes all you want are mid-sized crochet knotless braids. Other times, you may want to go the extra mile with a few big twists. Thus, if you are in the mood for the latter hairstyle, this jumbo twist hairstyle will perfectly serve your desires. Jumbo twists can be easily styled and crocheted at the same time. Additionally, one way by which you can style these incredible crochet braids is by pinning almost half of your twists within a beautiful half hair bun.
- Center parted kinky hairs.
You have a great chance here if you want to try out something new and crazy with your natural hair. This tremendous style is one of the most exciting crochet braids styles that incorporates a unique crimpled effect to your hair. In addition, your hairs are parted down to the middle and freely allowed to fly as you wish. In fact, it is the type of crochet hairstyle that you can easily wear in protest of the norm.
- Exposed cornrows half updo
You don’t always need to have an entire head full of hairs, especially when using crochet box braids. You can be versatile and quirky with the style you wish to have. All you need to do is neatly braid your cornrows on your natural hairs. You can install the synthetic extension on the center of your hair while leaving any of your head’s sides bare. Moreover, you can also flip your attached hair extensions leaning over your shoulders to get an extremely classy look.
- Ringlet curls boy cut
With curly crochet braids, you no longer require to go for complicated and long styles. In addition to that, you can also opt for a short hairstyle, such as going for ringlet curls. Not only is this an incredible style for hair growth, but it is also youthful and chic. Besides the various ringlet curls, you can add a bit of quicky fun and interest to your entire look.
What do women need for crochet braids hairstyles?
In order to make crochet hairs at home; all you need are a few available products which are given below:
- Boar brush
- Some hair clips
- One finger comb
- Crochet hooks
- A few synthetic hair extensions primarily depend on your crochet hairstyling preferences like whether you like;
- Short or long pre-curled hairs
- Water wave hairs
- Loose or tight curls
- Small or large curls
- Or, even if you like to play with different hair colors mixed, both bright and natural-looking.
We usually recommend mixing up two different hair shades to add slight dimensions and highlights for a more beautiful overall hairdo regardless of which crochet braids styles you are going for.
After preparing your hair beforehand with various moisturizing hair care products, hair masks, oils and shampoos, you will definitely need to gather up some crochet braids twisting tools, including a latch hook and some crochet hair braids extensions. However, the precise number of hair extension packs required mainly depends on the crochet hairstyles you are going for. In order to be safe and adequate:
- You should have at least four hair packs for short crochet braids.
- Or around 6-7 hair packs for long crochet braids.
How To do Crochet Braids at Home?
Step 1: Creating Your Own Cornrows
- First of all, start parting all your natural hairs at the back of your head, equally splitting them into two sections. Then brush them out with the help of a boar brush. After that, clip up the topmost section of your hair with hair clips as many as your need.
- Secondly, begin making cornrow crochet braids at the nape of your neck and continue braiding all up to the end until all your low bottom section’s hairs come to a tight zig-zag pattern against your scalp.
- Then repeat the similar process on the other side of your head, collecting hairs and making a braid from your head’s front to the back.
- Continue braiding further until you become able to connect the braid’s cornrows of both front and back sections of the head and connect them by tying them together with a little pony.
- Similarly, continue this process by making cornrows in small sections on the top and sides of your head in a precise zig-zag pattern, utilizing as many hair clips as required. Repeat this process until you have finished braiding your complete head, connecting adjacent braids by tying them together.
Step 2: Crochet Braiding Your Head
- Now take a crochet hook in any one of your hands and place it precisely under your cornrow, with a pointed needle part of its hook pointing downwards.
- Then grab the hairs you have chosen or the synthetic curls while splitting them into two halves.
- Hook any one of the synthetic curls into the held crochet hook. Pull the entire crochet hook out and up from below the cornrow when the curl is attached. That is so that you can create a unique loop.
- Then take any one-half piece of one side curls and pull it through your self-created hair loop until it takes the form of a tight knot. Then tie both ends of the synthetic curl together when the knot is tight against your scalp, so they form a unified bouncy coil.
- Repeat the afore-mentioned process along the entire cornrow’s length until that section of your scalp and cornrow gets completely covered with different synthetic hair extensions.
- Continue this exciting step on all the different cornrows on your head, somehow alternating hair colors to add highlights, lowlights, dimensions, and a pop of fun color.
- As general guidance, for natural highlights, add a unique color between every subsequent curl and then after every other two loops as you go up to your head.
Step 3: Style and Cut
- Feel free to style out your finished crochet braids hairstyles how you wish. For a simple, decent, and stylish everyday look, we generally recommend trimming out all the other parts of your crochet braided hairs, particularly those that stick out unevenly or are not uniform all over the head.
- Furthermore, for a neater finishing touch, squirt a dollop of any Mouse on the palm of your hand. That foaming mousse is usually infused with baobab and argan oil to add curl, shine, and extra volume to your crochet hair braids.
- So, spread that mousse wherever you want to add an extra light oomph to your hair locks. Then muss your plans and fingers until the entire foam gets thoroughly blended into your curly crochet braids, and you are all set to go.
How To Care for and Maintain Crochet Braid Styles for An Extended Period?
Prioritizing the care of your hairs and scalp while installing crochet hair braids is crucial, and some essential hair oils can significantly help in this regard. A few tips and tricks for care and proper maintenance of crochet hairs typically include the following:
- Moisturize your hair and scalp with lightweight oil.
- Apply a strengthening serum that is not too heavy but very profoundly moisturizing.
- Wash your natural crochet knotless braids if you go with human hair extension over synthetic hairs.
- Twisted or braided crochet hairs may get slightly frizzy even after a wash, but you can always use a smoothing combination of hair honey and hair oil across your short crochet braids to click down any stray strands.
- Wear a bonnet or satin scarf at bedtime to help keep your hair looking nice and smooth.
- Make sure to put your hair in a jumbo twist if you have long or curly crochet braids. That proves great to prevent hairs from matting up.
- Do not spray any wig products on crocheted hairs.
- Do not brush or comb crochet braids harshly. Instead, finger detangle your hair gently if you have any tangles or matting.
- Always make sure to shampoo your hair after crochet styling.
- Last but not least, spritz your entire scalp in between your hair’s cornrows.
How to remove crochet braids hairstyles
- Cut all your crochet hair braids halfway, without cutting off close to the braids’ bases. You could either brush or pull the knot too to remove them.
- Aways ensure to shampoo your hair after crochet styling with a clarifying shampoo, followed by a moisturizing shampoo, deep roots conditioning, and ends trimmed, helping getaway all the product build-up cleaned from the scalp.
What are the benefits of crochet braids hairstyles?
- Crochet styling is easy to do at home with just a few hair accessories, as long as you know how to cornrow.
- Typically, faster and easy to maintain than all the other types of complicated hairstyles.
- Provide a great way to protect most of your natural hairs from heat damage and extensive styling.
- Hair extensions are generally inexpensive, quick to install, and easy to manage. Especially helpful for women who love transitioning out of their relaxers.
- Much like crochet box braids, Senegalese twists, and faux locs, crochet braiding is a chemical and heat-free technique of protective hairstyling.
- Breathable enough for women’s heads while leaving accessible scalp for easy cleaning.
- Tends to be highly cost-effective compared to several traditional hair extension services taken from a costly hair salon.
- It is an excellent technique for women who want to give their hair a free break without worrying about damaging natural hairs.
- Besides all the significant hair benefits, crochet hair braids are a super versatile way to wear your hair. They can be either short, long, straight, curly, or even multi-colored, primarily depending on the type of hair extension you choose.
- Last but not least, no one has to visit a hairstylist or a hair salon for having crochet hairstyles. One can easily change up their hair look whenever they want at home.
Crochet braids hairstyles are fun and relatively easy-to-go yet stylish hair looks for women of all ages. In fact, they are an excellent way to grow out your natural hairs at an incredibly fast rate, along with their prevention from excessive damage and breakage that occurs every day. Interestingly, such braided styles continue to trend throughout the year without limitations and boundaries.
However, when it comes to choosing the color and length of your hair, it will be wise enough to seek your hairstylist’s opinion. Get a unique style that will look flattering for several days and weeks. Have fun with each one of your tried crochet styles. Finally, always remember to take good care of your natural hairs after each crochet braids style by regular moisturizing and washing them with gentle hair care products and oils.
What more do you need for everyday styling? Not only such crochet hair braids are affordable, but also, they can entirely transform your overall look while protecting both your scalp and hairs and nourishing them. While, initially, you may need to do a bit of information, tools, and practice of “How to do crochet braids?” until you master this art. Always keep experimenting with various crochet hairstyles, hair care products, and hair colors. Indeed, you will be a crochet braids expert within no time.